- One 1-1/2-pound veal breast or leg, boned and rolled
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary, or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 4 small red potatoes, peeled and halved
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Prepare a roasting pan with non-stick pan spray.
- Place the veal in the pan and press the herbs, garlic, and salt and pepper on all sides of the roast. Surround the roast with the vegetables; add 3/4 cup water and the wine. Cover tightly with foil. Roast for about 2 hours, or until the veal is tender. If necessary, add additional water to the pan to keep the roast moist and prevent burning.
- Remove the roast to a heated platter. Skim the fat from the pan juices with a spoon, or use a gravy separator and set aside.
- Allow the meat to rest 10 minutes before carving. Slice the roast and divide the meat and vegetables to serve 4. Top the veal with natural juices.
Serving Size: About 4 ounces meat plus 1/2 cup Vegetables. Also contains 3g Dietary Fiber and 5g Sugars.
Recipe Yield: Makes: 1 Roast (4 Servings)
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 4 grams
Sodium: 397 milligrams
Cholesterol: 116 milligrams
Protein: 34 grams
Carbohydrates: 21 grams
1 Starch, 1 Vegetable, 4 Very Lean Meat
Source: The New Family Cookbook For People with Diabetes
Book Title: The New Family Cookbook For People with Diabetes