- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut in 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) whole plum tomatoes in juice
- 1 rib celery, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp. dried red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 cup hot long-grain brown rice, cooked according to package directions
- In 3-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Saute, stirring frequently, until onion is tender but not brown, about 4 minutes. Add chicken and cook, stirring, until pieces are white on all sides.
- Add tomatoes with liquid, breaking up with spoon. Mix in celery, bell pepper, scallion and tomato paste. Stir in bay leaf, thyme, pepper flakes and cloves. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked and sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf. Stir rice into chicken mixture until well combined.
Recipe Yield: Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 4 grams
Sodium: 203 milligrams
Protein: 17 grams
Carbohydrates: 33 grams
2 Low-Fat Meat, 2 Bread/Starch. 1 Vegetable
Recipe Options - Cool Things You Can Do
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.