- 1 beef tri-tip roast (1-1/2 to 2 pounds)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 425F. Combine rub ingredients in small bowl; press evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast.
- Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 425F oven 30 to 40 minutes for medium rare; 40 to 45 minutes for medium doneness.
- Remove roast when instant-read thermometer registers 135F for medium rare; 150F for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10F to reach 145F for medium rare; 160F for medium.)
- Carve roast across the grain into thin slices. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
Recipe Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 7 grams
Saturated Fat: 3 grams
Fiber: 0.8 grams
Sodium: 61 milligrams
Cholesterol: 6 milligrams
Protein: 23 grams
Carbohydrates: 1 grams
Source: The Beef Checkoff