- 1 large eggplant (2 pounds), peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 eggs
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup grated fat-free Parmesan cheese
- Cook eggplant in 2 inches simmering water in covered medium saucepan until tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Drain well. Mash eggplant with fork; mix in breadcrumbs, onion, garlic, 1 teaspoon oregano, basil, and thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix in eggs.
- Spoon eggplant mixture into 11x7-inch baking dish. Arrange tomatoes in rows over eggplant; sprinkle with cheese and remaining 1/2 teaspoon oregano.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F. until hot through, about 20 minutes.
Recipe Yield: Serves: 8
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 1.9 grams
Sodium: 245 milligrams
Cholesterol: 53.3 milligrams
Protein: 5.1 grams
Carbohydrates: 17 grams
2 Vegetable, 1/2 Bread/Starch, 1/2 Fat
Source: 1,001 Recipes For People with Diabetes
Book Title: 1,001 Recipes For People with Diabetes