- 1 Tbsp canola oil (15 mL)
- 1 cup diced onions (250 mL)
- 1/2 medium Gala apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (14oz/398 mL) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 of (15oz/426 mL) can solid pumpkin
- 2 Tbsp sugar (30 mL)
- 1-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (7 mL)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin (2 mL)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (.5 mL)
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free half and half (375 mL)
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream (60 mL)
- Heat canola oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and apple; cook 5 minutes or until onions begin to brown.
- Place onion mixture in a blender with 1 cup (250 mL) broth. Secure lid, and puree until smooth. Return onion mixture to saucepan; add remaining ingredients, except half and half and sour cream. Bring to boil over high heat, reduce heat, cover tightly, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and gradually add half and half while stirring. To serve, spoon equal amounts of soup into four shallow bowls and top with dollops of sour cream.
Flavorful tip: Adding the apple while browning the onion brings out the sugars of the apple and richly brown the onions quickly.
Enjoy the tastes of the season with this decadent soup.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 servings
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 5 grams
Saturated Fat: 1 grams
Fiber: 3 grams
Sodium: 635 milligrams
Cholesterol: 5 milligrams
Protein: 6 grams
Carbohydrates: 26 grams
Source: The Heart-Smart Diabetes Kitchen: Fresh, Fast and Flavorful Recipes Made with Canola Oil from the American Diabetes Association and CanolaInfo
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.