- 3 1/2 lb. (1.6 kg) whole chicken
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 3 limes
- 1 or 2 stalks celery, cut into chunks
- 1/4 c. chopped parsley or coriander (cilantro)
- Rinse chicken and dry well. Loosen skin; rub seasonings inside the cavity and under skin of chicken. Squeeze juice of one lime over chicken. Marinate for 1 hour at room temperature or cover and marinate in the fridge overnight. Pierce limes with a fork. Place limes, celery and parsley inside the chicken. Close up openings with metal skewers. Place chicken on its side in a roasting pan.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Roast uncovered for 20 minutes. Turn chicken onto its other side and roast 20 minutes more. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and roast breast side up 20 minutes longer, until golden and crisp. Remove chicken from oven. Strain fat from pan juices. Place pan juices in a gravy boat. Cut up chicken; remove skin, limes, celery and parsley. Garnish with additional lime slices.
Moist and luscious! Recipe can be doubled (or tripled) for company. Reheats and/or freezes well.
Recipe Yield: Servings: 6
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 7.4 grams
Sodium: 92 milligrams
Cholesterol: 84 milligrams
Protein: 28 grams
Carbohydrates: 1 grams
3-1/2 Low-Fat Meat
Book Title: MealLeaniYUMM!