- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup margarine, melted
- 2 large egg whites, or 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9-inch-square baking pan with nonstick pan spray.
- Combine the flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the margarine, egg whites, milk, lemon juice, zest, and vanilla. Mix just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake 30 minutes, or until the cake springs back when the center is lightly pressed.
- Cool on a wire rack. Sift powdered sugar over the cake. Cut into 3-inch squares to serve.
Contains 2 grams dietary fiber and 14 grams sugars.
Recipe Yield: Makes: 1 Cake (9 Servings)
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 7 grams
Sodium: 242 milligrams
Protein: 4 grams
Carbohydrates: 26 grams
Other Carbohydrate: 1-1/2, Fat: 1-1/2
Source: The New Family Cookbook For People with Diabetes
Book Title: The New Family Cookbook For People with Diabetes