- 1 pound 95% lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup shredded Chihuahua cheese, divided
- 4 small tortillas, warmed or hamburger buns, split, toasted
- Thinly sliced lettuce, chopped tomato, avocado slices, salsa, sour cream, guacamole (optional)
- Combine Ground Beef, onion, jalapeno, cilantro and 1/4 cup cheese in medium bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into four 1/2-inch thick patties.
- To grill (if preferred, a skillet version follows), place patties on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 8 to 10 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 7 to 9 minutes), until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160F, turning occasionally.
- Place burgers in tortillas or buns; season with salt and black pepper, as desired. Top with desired toppings.
Alternative skillet version: Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place patties in skillet; cook 10 to 12 minutes turning occasionally, until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160F, turning occasionally. About 3 minutes before burgers are done, top evenly with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
Recipe Yield: Makes 4 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 12 grams
Saturated Fat: 6 grams
Fiber: 1 grams
Sodium: 339 milligrams
Cholesterol: 79 milligrams
Protein: 28 grams
Carbohydrates: 17 grams