- 10 -12 pound turkey
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 medium onion ,quartered
- The peel of one lemon, cut into strips
- 1 cup dried mushrooms, reconstituted (reserve 1 cup liquid)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons potato starch
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chives
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Remove turkey giblets and neck from body cavities. Rinse turkey inside and out; pat dry with paper towels.
- Starting at neck, using your fingers, gently loosen skin over entire breast. Place thyme and rosemary sprigs at even intervals under skin; pat skin back in place. Place onion and lemon peel in body cavity. Place turkey breast-side up on rack in roasting pan.
- Roast turkey 3 1/2-4 hours, until meat thermometer inserted in fleshy part of inner thigh (not touching bone) reaches 180 F. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Remove skin before eating.
- Meanwhile, to prepare gravy, pour pan drippings into a 2-cup measure; let stand 5 minutes. Skim off and discard fat; pour remaining liquid into small saucepan. Add mushrooms and 1 cup mushroom liquid, broth, wine, potato starch, chives, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Simmer 2 minutes. Serve with turkey.
One serving = 3 ounces turkey and 1/4 cup gravy
Recipe Yield: Servings: 12
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 4 grams
Sodium: 114 milligrams
Protein: 25 grams
Carbohydrates: 3 grams
3 Lean-Meat, 1/4 Vegetable