- 1 pound medium sized asparagus, rinsed and trimmed
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 4 tsp. unbleached all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup fat free milk
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
- Steam the asparagus in a saucepan over boiling water until just tender, about 3 to5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a cold saucepan, blend canola oil with flour using a wire whisk. Slowly whisk in the milk and heat the sauce over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Add onion powder, salt and pepper to taste. Continue to stir until thickened, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese.
- Pour hot cheese sauce over asparagus and serve immediately.
Recipe Yield: Serves 4.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3 grams
Saturated Fat: under 1 grams
Fiber: 3 grams
Sodium: 62 milligrams
Protein: 5 grams
Carbohydrates: 9 grams