- 3/4 lb. yams (or sweet potatoes), sliced
- 3/4 lb. salmon filet, cooked (baked, steamed,or grilled) and flaked with a fork
- 3 large whole scallions, very thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- Grated zest of 1/2 lime, plus juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4-1/2 cup cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp. fresh lime juice
- Steam yams until very soft, about 20 minutes stovetop or 2 to 4 minutes in a microwave oven. (If using a microwave oven, drape a damp paper towel over the top of the yams.) Cool yams until easily handled by hand. Using your fingers, peel skin from the slices. In a medium bowl, coarsely mash yams with a fork.
- Mix in salmon, scallions, mustard, the zest and juice of 1/2 lime, plus salt and pepper to taste. Blend until well combined. Shape mixture into 8 cakes, using about one-third cup for each. Arrange fishcakes on a plate, cover and refrigerate 1 to 4 hours.
- Spread cornmeal over a small plate. Coat a large non-stick skillet generously with cooking spray and heat until hot on medium-high heat. Meanwhile, dredge fishcakes in cornmeal, coating them all over. Cook until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes on each side.
- Make the sauce by mixing together in a small bowl the mayonnaise, mustard, rosemary and lime juice. Serve the sauce with the salmon cakes. If desired, serve fishcakes in hamburger buns, preferably whole wheat, along with a lettuce leaf and a dollop of the sauce.
Recipe Yield: Makes 4 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 10 grams
Sodium: 374 milligrams
Protein: 20 grams
Carbohydrates: 29 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
2 Bread/Starch, 2-1/2 Medium-Fat Meat
Recipe and image appear courtesy of American Institute for Cancer Research.
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.