- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup low-fat (1%) milk
- 2 slices white bread, lightly toasted and made into coarse crumbs
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 2 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pound ground skinless turkey breast
- 1/2 pound lean ground pork
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg with the milk and bread crumbs; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the onion, parsley, salt, allspice, and nutmeg; blend well. Add the meats and stir with a fork until well blended. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour on a pice of waxed paper and place next to the meat bowl. Shape the meat into 48 meatballs, about 1 tablespoon each. Dip each meatball lightly in the flour and place on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil. Add half the meatballs and cook until browned all over, 5 minutes. Cover and cook the meatballs until the meat is no longer pink, 20-25 minutes, turning occasionally. (Remaining meatballs should be refrigerated.) Transfer the cooked meatballs to a bowl, cover, and keep warm.
- Remove any small meat pieces from the skillet. Repeat step 3 with the remaining meatballs.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 12 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3 grams
Sodium: 65 milligrams
Cholesterol: 54 milligrams
Protein: 15 grams
Carbohydrates: 5 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
1/2 Starch, 2 Very Lean Meat
Source: Forbidden Foods Diabetic Cooking
Book Title: Forbidden Foods Diabetic Cooking
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.