- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup low-fat (1%) milk
- 2 slices white bread, lightly toasted and made into coarse crumbs
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 2 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pound ground skinless turkey breast
- 1/2 pound lean ground pork
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg with the milk and bread crumbs; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the onion, parsley, salt, allspice, and nutmeg; blend well. Add the meats and stir with a fork until well blended. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour on a pice of waxed paper and place next to the meat bowl. Shape the meat into 48 meatballs, about 1 tablespoon each. Dip each meatball lightly in the flour and place on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil. Add half the meatballs and cook until browned all over, 5 minutes. Cover and cook the meatballs until the meat is no longer pink, 20-25 minutes, turning occasionally. (Remaining meatballs should be refrigerated.) Transfer the cooked meatballs to a bowl, cover, and keep warm.
- Remove any small meat pieces from the skillet. Repeat step 3 with the remaining meatballs.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 12 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3 grams
Sodium: 65 milligrams
Cholesterol: 54 milligrams
Protein: 15 grams
Carbohydrates: 5 grams
1/2 Starch, 2 Very Lean Meat
Source: Forbidden Foods Diabetic Cooking
Book Title: Forbidden Foods Diabetic Cooking
Recipe Options - Cool Things You Can Do
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.