- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 small tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup mild, medium or hot chunky salsa
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces), shredded, reduced-fat Jack cheese
- One (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a food processor, whirl beans until pureed but still slightly lumpy. Scoop beans into a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and jalapeno until onion is soft, 5 minutes. Add chili powder, cocoa, cumin, and oregano, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. Mix in tomato paste and cook for 30 seconds. Add contents of the pan to the pureed beans.
- Add tomato, salsa, cilantro and salt, to beans and mix to combine all ingredients. Spread bean mixture in an even layer in the prepared pan. Sprinkle cheese over the top.
- Bake until cheese is melted and bubbly and beans are heated through, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve immediately, accompanied by a bowl of baked tortilla chips.
Recipe Yield: Yield: Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3.5 grams
Saturated Fat: 1.5 grams
Fiber: 3 grams
Sodium: 370 milligrams
Protein: 5 grams
Carbohydrates: 11 grams
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.