- 1 cup powdered sugar, divided
- 2 sticks fat-reduced margarine, suitable for baking (must have 60-70% fat), such as Imperial or Fleischmann's
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 325F. In a large bowl, cream half of the sugar into the margarine, then add th salt and vanilla extract, blending well. Next add the flour, oats, and nuts, and blend thoroughly.
- Place dough by the Tablespoonful on ungreased cookie sheet. Shape into crescents. Bake for 15 minutes or until bottoms are light honey-golden. Remove to wire rack and sift remaining powdered sugar generously over warm crescents.
The generosity and sweetness of pueblo foods at Christmastime is embodied in this recipe.
Recipe Yield: Servings: 36 Cookies
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 4 grams
Sodium: 50 milligrams
Carbohydrates: 9 grams
1 Bread; 1 Fat
Source: Enduring Harvests: A Treasury of Native American Foods For Every Season
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.