- 1 cup powdered sugar, divided
- 2 sticks fat-reduced margarine, suitable for baking (must have 60-70% fat), such as Imperial or Fleischmann's
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 325F. In a large bowl, cream half of the sugar into the margarine, then add th salt and vanilla extract, blending well. Next add the flour, oats, and nuts, and blend thoroughly.
- Place dough by the Tablespoonful on ungreased cookie sheet. Shape into crescents. Bake for 15 minutes or until bottoms are light honey-golden. Remove to wire rack and sift remaining powdered sugar generously over warm crescents.
The generosity and sweetness of pueblo foods at Christmastime is embodied in this recipe.
Recipe Yield: Servings: 36 Cookies
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 4 grams
Sodium: 50 milligrams
Carbohydrates: 9 grams
1 Bread; 1 Fat
Source: Enduring Harvests: A Treasury of Native American Foods For Every Season