- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup long-grain white rice or basmati rice
- 2 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup diced yellow pepper
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, heat the oil.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute for 4 minutes.
- Add the bay leaf and rice and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the beans and cook for 5 minutes. Add the pepper, cumin, and coriander and cook for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 6 servings (About 3/4 cup each)
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 2 grams
Fiber: 4 grams
Sodium: 200 milligrams
Protein: 6 grams
Carbohydrates: 36 grams
Sugars: 4 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
2 Starch, 1 Vegetable
Source: The Diabetes Food and Nutrition Bible
Book Title: The Diabetes Food and Nutrition Bible
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.