- 2 Tbsp canola oil (30 mL)
- 1-1/2 lb/750 g extra lean ground beef (or 1 lb/500 g extra lean ground beef and 15-oz/426 mL can kidney beans, rinsed and drained)
- 2 cups diced green bell peppers (500 mL)
- 1 cup diced red onion (250 mL)
- 3 cans (14.5 oz/412 mL each) no-salt-added stewed tomatoes
- 1 bottle (12 oz/341 mL) dark stout beer
- 3 Tbsp chili powder (45 mL)
- 1-1/2 Tbsp ground cumin (20 mL)
- 1-1/2 Tbsp smoked paprika (optional) (20 mL)
- 1 Tbsp sodium-free beef bouillon granules (15 mL)
- 1 tsp salt (5 mL)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves (125 mL)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion (125 mL)
- 1 medium lime, cut into 6 wedges
- Heat 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in two batches, brown beef, about 3-4 minutes per batch, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, in a saute pan heat remaining 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil and cook bell peppers and onions 4 minutes or until onions are soft, stirring frequently. Stir into cooked beef. Add stewed tomatoes, beer, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and bouillon. Bring just to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes. Stir in salt.
- Serve chili with choice of toppings placed in three small bowls.
Like most chili recipes, the flavors are more blended if the chili is served the next day. This dish freezes well, too.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 8 servings. Serving size: 1-1/3 cups (325 mL) chili.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 8 grams
Saturated Fat: 1.5 grams
Fiber: 5 grams
Sodium: 480 miligrams
Cholesterol: 45 miligrams
Protein: 20 grams
Carbohydrates: 18 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵
Recipe Options - Cool Things You Can Do
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.