- 2 cups peeled and shredded Russet potatoes, firmly packed (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup grated or finely chopped onion
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons egg substitute
- 2-3 tablespoons low sodium matzo meal (a little less than 1 matzo, processed into fine crumbs)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Place the potatoes in a cheesecloth or double thickness of paper towels and wring to extract as much water out of the potatoes as possible
- In medium bowl, stir the potatoes, onion, egg, egg substitute and matzo meal and salt together well.
- In a large heavy-bottomed non stick skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil until hot. Make sure the oil is spread evenly over the bottom of the skillet. Place 1/4 cup (level measure) of potato mixture into the hot oil, pressing down on them to form 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick patties. Spray tops with canola cooking spray. Brown on one side about 3 minutes, turn over and brown the other side (about 3 minutes).
- Serve these hot with applesauce, fat free or light sour cream and chopped green onions.
Recipe Yield: Makes 10 latkes. 1 latke per serving
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 1 grams
Fiber: 1 grams
Sodium: 237 milligrams
Cholesterol: 21 milligrams
Protein: 3 grams
Carbohydrates: 12 grams
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.