Tender Flat Iron Steaks are quickly cooked in a hot skillet before adding mushrooms, carrots and peas – and it’s tossed in a savory gravy. The Irish beef pot pie is topped off with flaky pastry dough for a truly satisfying meal. Flat iron steak is also called butlers’ steak or oyster blade steak.
Recipe Yield: 6
- 1-1/2 pounds beef Flat Iron Steaks
- 1 package (8 ounces) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups frozen crinkle-cut carrots
- 1-1/2 cups frozen peas
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, divided
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can (14 to 14-1/4 ounces) ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 refrigerated pie crust (1/2 of a 15-ounce package)
Content Continues Below ⤵
- Heat oven to 425F.
- Cut beef steak lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch thick strips.
- Spray large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add mushrooms; cook and stir 3 minutes. Add carrots, peas, 1 teaspoon thyme and 1/2 teaspoon garlic; cook and stir an additional 3 to 4 minutes or until carrots and peas are defrosted. Remove from skillet; set aside.
- In same skillet, add 1/2 of beef; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until outside surface of beef is no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Remove from skillet with slotted spoon; set aside. Repeat with remaining beef.
- Dissolve cornstarch into beef broth; add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir about 1 minute or until sauce is slightly thickened and any browned bits on bottom of skillet are dissolved. Return vegetables and beef to pan; stir to combine.
- Place beef mixture in 2-inch deep, 9-inch pie plate or similar sized round baking dish. Unfold pie crust on flat surface, pressing out fold lines with fingers.
- Place crust over beef mixture allowing edges to drape over pie plate. Sprinkle remaining 1 teaspoon thyme and 1/2 teaspoon garlic evenly onto top of crust. Place pie plate on 15-1/2 x 10-1/2 x 1-inch jelly-roll pan.
- Bake in 425F oven 16 to 18 minutes or until crust is golden.
- Remove from oven to wire rack; let cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 18 grams
Sodium: 490 milligrams
Cholesterol: 58 milligrams
Protein: 27 grams
Carbohydrates: 31 grams
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.