- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large sweet potatoes (1-1/2 pounds total), cooked, peeled, and mashed
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 prepared 9-inch pie shell, unbaked
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Beat together the margarine, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Add the egg yolk, lemon juice, lemon zest, and cinnamon; mix well. Stir in the sweet potatoes and milk; mix again.
- Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks and fold them into the sweet potato mixture; pour into the pie shell.
- Bake for about 40 to 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool and cut the pie in 8 equal slices.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 1 pie (8 servings)
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 13 grams
Fiber: 3 grams
Sodium: 313 milligrams
Cholesterol: 28 milligrams
Protein: 7 grams
Carbohydrates: 38 grams
Sugars: 17 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
2-1/2 Other Carbohydrate, 2 Fat
Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Book Title: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.