- 1-1/2 pounds 95% lean ground beef
- 2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 package (16 to 18 ounces) refrigerated prepared polenta, cut into 8 slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 package (8 ounces) fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 8 slices
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 4 slices each
- Thinly sliced fresh basil
- Bring vinegar to a boil in 2-quart saucepan. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 9 to 10 minutes or until reduced to 1/3 cup. Set aside.
- Meanwhile lightly shape ground beef into eight 1/2-inch thick patties.
- Brush polenta slices with oil. Place patties in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill patties, uncovered, 11 to 12 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 9 to 10 minutes), until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160F, turning burgers occasionally and basting with 2 tablespoons reduced vinegar after turning. Arrange polenta around patties; grill 11 to 12 minutes (for gas, grill 9 to 10 minutes) or until heated through, turning once. Season burgers with salt and pepper, as desired.
- For each serving, layer 1 each polenta slice, burger, mozzarella slice and tomato slice. Drizzle with remaining vinegar and sprinkle with basil, as desired.
Note: Prepared balsamic syrup, available in large supermarkets and specialty food stores, may be substituted for balsamic reduction.
Ditch the bun and have some fun with this Italian inspired recipe for Polenta Caprese Burgers.
Recipe Yield: Makes 8 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 1 grams
Saturated Fat: 3 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Sodium: 391 milligrams
Cholesterol: 57 milligrams
Protein: 28 grams
Carbohydrates: 17 grams
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.