- 1 beef Shoulder Roast Boneless (2-1/2 to 3 pounds)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 small onions, halved, sliced
- 4 medium shallots, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oven to 325F. Lightly coat beef pot roast with flour. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Brown pot roast; remove.
- Add 1-1/2 cups water and vinegar to Dutch oven; cook and stir until brown bits attached to pan are dissolved. Return pot roast. Add onions, shallots, dates, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Cover tightly and cook in 325F oven 2-1/4 to 3-1/4 hours or until pot roast is fork-tender.
- Remove pot roast; keep warm.
- Cook liquid and vegetables over medium-high heat to desired consistency.
- Carve pot roast. Serve with sauce.
Cooking food for a long period of time in an amount of liquid, covered, is known as braising. Braising usually involves a large piece of meat that is browned in some oil or fat before being combined with liquid and cooked either on the stovetop or in the oven.
Recipe Yield: Makes 8 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 12 grams
Saturated Fat: 3 grams
Fiber: 1 grams
Sodium: 214 milligrams
Cholesterol: 104 milligrams
Protein: 34 grams
Carbohydrates: 10 grams
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.