- 1 beef Shoulder Roast Boneless (2-1/2 to 3 pounds)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 small onions, halved, sliced
- 4 medium shallots, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oven to 325F. Lightly coat beef pot roast with flour. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Brown pot roast; remove.
- Add 1-1/2 cups water and vinegar to Dutch oven; cook and stir until brown bits attached to pan are dissolved. Return pot roast. Add onions, shallots, dates, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Cover tightly and cook in 325F oven 2-1/4 to 3-1/4 hours or until pot roast is fork-tender.
- Remove pot roast; keep warm.
- Cook liquid and vegetables over medium-high heat to desired consistency.
- Carve pot roast. Serve with sauce.
Cooking food for a long period of time in an amount of liquid, covered, is known as braising. Braising usually involves a large piece of meat that is browned in some oil or fat before being combined with liquid and cooked either on the stovetop or in the oven.
Recipe Yield: Makes 8 servings
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 12 grams
Saturated Fat: 3 grams
Fiber: 1 grams
Sodium: 214 milligrams
Cholesterol: 104 milligrams
Protein: 34 grams
Carbohydrates: 10 grams
Recipe and photo appears courtesy of Cattlemen's Beef Promotion Board.
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.