- 4 tsp. canola or vegetable oil, divided
- 3 medium Idaho potatoes
- 10 oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 medium onion
- 1 or 2 carrots
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh dill (or 2 tsp. dried dill)
- 2 eggs plus 2 egg whites (or 3 eggs)
- 1/4 c. flour (white or whole wheat)
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Place oven racks on the lowest and middle positions in your oven. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil. Spray with non-stick spray, then brush each pan with 1 tsp. of oil. (This provides a crispy exterior to the latka.)
- Peel potatoes or scrub well if you don't want to peel them. Using the Grater of your processor, grate potatoes, using light pressure. Remove potatoes from processor. Insert Steel Knife and process spinach, onion, carrots and dill until fine. Add grated potatoes, eggs, egg whites and remaining 2 tsp. oil. Process with quick on/offs to mix. Quickly blend in remaining ingredients.
- Drop mixture by rounded spoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets. Flatten slightly with the back of the spoon to form latkas. Bake uncovered at 450 degrees F for 10 minutes, or until bottoms are nicely browned and crispy. Turn latkas over. Transfer pan from the upper rack to the lower rack and vice versa. Bake about 8 to 10 minutes longer, or until brown. Serve immediately.
Latkas are served at Chanukah to celebrate the miracle of a little bit of oil lasting for 8 days. Traditional latkas are usually fried in 1/4 cup of oil, so 1 latka contains about 3 grams of fat. I don’t know anyone who can stop at just 1 latka, so these “no-guilt” latkas are a terrific alternative. Each one contains just over a gram of fat – that’s a miracle!“Can be frozen. Serve with salsa, tzadziki,“low-fat sour cream or yogurt.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 24 medium latkas or 6 dozen miniatures. (3 minis equal 1 medium latka.)
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 1.2 grams
Sodium: 97 milligrams
Cholesterol: 18 milligrams
Protein: 2 grams
Carbohydrates: 6 grams
Book Title: MealLeaniYUMM!
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.