- Vegetable oil spray
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coarse yellow cornmeal
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- Egg substitute equivalent to 1 egg or 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly spray eight muffin cups with vegetable oil spray.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl, stirring well.
- Beat remaining ingredients in a small bowl.
- Make a well in cornmeal mixture. Pour milk mixture into well, stirring just until moistened. Fill muffin cups two-thirds full with batter.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in center of muffins comes out clean.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 8 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 1 grams
Fiber: 1 grams
Sodium: 189 milligrams
Protein: 3 grams
Carbohydrates: 18 grams
Source: The New American Heart Association Cookbook
Book Title: The New American Heart Association Cookbook